Sunday, December 5, 2010

VMFA: Ray Litchenstein


Roy Lichtenstein was one of the most notable American artist during the 1960's. He along with fellow artist such as  Andy Warhol and James Rosenquist became the leading pioneers in a new art movement known as Pop Art.By using parody Lichtenstein best displayed the basis for pop better than any other artist. Lichtenstein himself described Pop art not as American but painting but industrial painting.

What I really like about Lichtenstein's work is the comic book style that he uses. since I was a kid I have always loved reading comic books and to see it hanging up as art amuses me. What I am most impressed with though is the fact that Lichtenstein manages to make this oil and acrylic painting look like screen print. It is tuly an example of what man is capable of. This piece titled "Gullscape" has inspired me. And when I find some spare time, perhaps over the winter break I will recreate a scene from one of my favorite comic books. 


No comments:

Post a Comment